How to Make Vegetable Lasagna
This vegetable lasagna is rich, cheesy and loaded with vegetables (zucchini, carrots, mushrooms and spinach). This recipe is pretty simple and the only thing you need is some patience. Layers of tender vegetables, rich tomato sauce, lasagna noodles and delicious white sauce (béchamel). Whether you are a vegetarian or just want to diversify with your meals, you are going to love this vegetarian lasagna. Perfect meal for weekends, for holidays or even for meatless Monday.
For the béchamel sauce:
- 6 tablespoons (90g) Butter
- 2/3 cup (85g) Flour
- 3 cups (720ml) Milk, warm
- 2oz (60g) Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
For the veggie mixture:
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large Carrot, diced
- 2 medium Zucchini, chopped
- 5oz (140g) Spinach
- 5oz (140g) Mushrooms, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Basil, 5-6 leaves
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 360z (1000g) Tomato sauce, store bought or homemade
- No-boil lasagna noodles
- 3oz (90g) Mozzarella
- Make the vegetable sauce: In a large pan or pot over medium heat, add olive oil and heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until golden, about 7-8 minutes. Add minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes more. Add diced carrot, chopped zucchini and cook until the carrot are tender, abbot 6-7 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, add spinach and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, and chopped basil leaves. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the béchamel sauce: In a medium saucepan over low heat melt butter, when the butter is melted, add flour and whisk continuously, until smooth paste forms. Gradually add the warm milk while continually whisking to prevent lumps. Whisk until the sauce is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and add pinch salt, black pepper, nutmeg and parmesan. Whisk until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Assembly: spread a thin layer of the vegetable mixture in the bottom of 13X9” (32X22cm) baking dish, layer pasta sheets, spread 1/3 of the vegetable mixture, then spread 1/3 of the béchamel sauce, on the top of the sauce sprinkle some mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering two more times (3 layers in total). Finish with béchamel sauce on top and sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan on top. Spray the bottom of an aluminum foil with cooking spray (to prevent from cheese to sticking) and cover the pan loosely.
- Bake, covered for 40 minutes, remove the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
WHAT VEGETABLES CAN BE USED IN VEGETABLE LASAGNA?
You can use carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, eggplants, asparagus and more. You can use all the vegetables or several. Up to your preferences.
SHOULD I COVER LASANGA WITH FOIL WHILE BAIKG?
If you leave your lasagna uncovered in the oven, it will become dry. Therefore, you need to cover lasagna while baking, at least at the first stage.
HOW TO STORE LASAGNA?
Store lasagna, covered, in the fridge up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven before serving.
MORE RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE: