Shakshuka Recipe - Eggs Poached in Tomato Sauce
Shakshuka - eggs poached in tomato sauce. Very popular breakfast in the middle eastern and Mediterranean countries. Really easy to prepare and so delicious! Good not only for breakfast but for brunch or dinner as well. This is the basic recipe for shaksuka but you always can add more ingredients, such as sausage, ham, bacon, cheese, tuna and more.
- 1 large onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 700g (24.7 oz) fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 chili pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- 5-6 eggs
- 1/2 – 1 cup water
1. Chop the onion, dice bell pepper and tomatoes. slice garlic cloves and chili pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan. Add chopped onion and diced bell pepper, sauté for about 6-7 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic and chili and sauté for 4-5 minutes more.
3. Add tomato paste stir and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup water (if needed add more). Stir well and add spices and chopped basil.
4. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes over low-medium heat.
5. Using a wooden spoon, make “wells” in the tomato mixture. Gently crack an egg into each "well". Cover the pan and cook over low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the egg whites are set.