For the meat sauce:
For the béchamel sauce:
1. In a large pan or pot over medium heat, add olive oil and heat, add ground beef. Cook, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Add the onion and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Cook until meat is browned. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste. Add bay leaves, Stir and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40-60 minutes. and set aside.
2. Meanwhile béchamel sauce: In a medium saucepan over low heat melt butter, when the butter is melted, add flour and whisk continuously, until smooth paste forms. Gradually add the warm milk while continually whisking to prevent lumps. Whisk until the sauce is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and add pinch salt, black pepper, nutmeg and parmesan. Whisk until smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
4. Assembly: spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of 13X9” (32X22cm) baking dish, layer pasta sheets, spread 1/3 of the meat mixture, then spread 1/4 of the béchamel sauce, on the top of the sauce sprinkle some mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering two more times (3 layers in total). Finish with béchamel sauce on top and sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan on top. Spry the bottom of an aluminum foil with cooking spray (to prevent from cheese to sticking) and cover the pan.
5. Bake, covered for 40 minutes, remove the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes.
6. Let cool 15-20 minutes before serving.
See Other Dinner Recipes You May Like
See Other Christmas Recipes You May Like