How to Make Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Learn how to make the best grilled cheese ever! What can be better than crispy, hot and melty grilled cheese sandwich? This Classic and comforting dish is always a pleasure for breakfast, lunch or any time of the days. In this easy recipe you will get answers to questions like what is the best cheese for grilled cheese? What is the best bread for grilled cheese? And what is butter, mayo or butter?
- 2 slices Bread
- 1-2 tablespoons Butter
- 20-25g (per serving) Sharp cheddar cheese
- 20-25g (per seving) Mozzarella cheese
- Grate both type of cheeses. Place in a bowl in mix.
- Spread each bread slice generously with butter.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Place bread slice, butter side down in the pan. Top one slice of bread with cheese mixture, place the second bread on top, butter side up. Fry for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown, flip and fry for 1-2 minutes more.
Notes and tips:
What is the best bread for grilled cheese sandwich?
- Basically you can use whatever bread you like. Most common bread for grilled cheese is white bread and sour bread.
- You also can use challah bread or brioche bread for extra rich sandwiches.
- For a healthier version you can use whole wheat bread, oatmeal bread, flaxseed bread, rye bread, whole grain bread, gluten free bread and more other types.
What is The Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese sandwich?
- You can use almost any type of cheese. Most popular cheeses are sharp cheddar cheese and American cheese.
- You also can use mozzarella cheese, gruyere cheese, Colby cheese, manchego cheese, Monterey Jack, Gouda, Swiss cheese, emmental cheese and more.
- For extra flavor you can use blue cheese, brie, aged cheese, goat cheese or other strong flavoured cheeses.
- My favorite: my recommendation is to combine several cheese to enhance the flavour. In the video you can see that I used cheddar and mozzarella but you can make your own combination with any kind of cheese.
Mayonnaise or butter for grilled cheese sandwich?
- Is mayonnaise better than butter on the outside of a grilled cheese sandwich? If it sounds weird to you to spread mayonnaise on your grilled cheese sandwich, don’t forget that mayonnaise is just oil and eggs.
- Convenience: it’s much easier to use mayo than use butter because mayo is always soft and it’s easier to spread. Unlike butter, which you have to wait a bit for it to soften.
- Taste: butter gives a richer flavor to the grilled cheese sandwich and makes it crispier, while the mayonnaise makes the sandwiches fluffier and the flavor just fine, but butter is better!
What can I add to my grilled cheese?
- Classic grilled cheese is nice, but you can always upgrade your sandwich with few adding that you already have in the kitchen.
- You can add chopped onion, green onions, caramelized onions, chives, bacon, jalapeños, mustard, spinach, sauced mushrooms, pickled vegetables, tomatoes, herbs and more.
- You also can add fruits to your grilled cheese sandwich: chopped apples, chopped pear, cranberries or even raisins.
Grate the Cheese
Grated cheese melts more evenly and more quickly than sliced of cheese. And if you are using a mix of cheeses it helps to combined them