This fried mozzarella cheese is crispy on the outside and melts on the inside. Fried mozzarella can be made as fried mozzarella steaks, fried mozzarella sticks or even fried mozzarella balls. This dish is a perfect appetizer and ideal when it served with homemade tomato sauce.
- 1 lb (450g) Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (125g) All-purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
- 3 tablespoons Milk
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 2 cups Breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- Tomato sauce
- Slice the cheese into about 1/2 –inch (1cm) thick. You can slice the cheese into steaks, sticks, circles or any shape that you like.
- Set up a breading station: in one bowl place flour, in second bowl mix breadcrumbs with salt and oregano, in second bowl whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Coat each cheese piece with flour, then dip in egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs. To make it extra crispy make another layer of coating; dip in egg mixture again and coat with breadcrumbs.
- In a pan heat oil to 350F (180C).
- Fry mozzarella pieces until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- Drain the oil and serve with homemade tomato sauce.