Wholemeal Spelt Bread Recipe
Learn how to make wholemeal spelt bread. This homemade spelt bread recipe is healthy, nutritious and easy to make and made with 100% whole grain spelt flour. Forget about regular while bread and change your diet into whole spelt bread that will change your life.
- 500g Spelt flour, whole grain
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Instant-dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1½ cups (360ml) Water, warm
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons Flaxseeds
- In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of an electric mixer combine spelt flower, yeast, salt, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. Mix and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk water honey and oil.
- Gradually add dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix until dough forms. Transfer into a clean work surface and knead for 7-8 minutes, until smooth sough forms.
- Place the dough into a large greased bowl and cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size, about one hour.
- When the dough has risen, punch it down gently, knead for 1-2 minutes and shape into a log.
- Place the log in a lightly greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover the pan, let rise for about 1 hour or until it's crowned about 1-inch over the rim of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- Brush the top of the bread with water and sprinkle some seeds. Bake at 425F (220C), for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375F (190C) and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Turn the bread out of the tin, tap the base and if it sounds hollow the bread is cooked.
- Allow to cool completely before serving. Serve with cottage cheese, nut butter, jam or anything you like.
Frequently asked questions:
DO WE HAVE DO USE THE SEEDS?
No, the seeds are totally optional. You can add any seeds to this bread recipe or amit any seeds that you don't like.
HOW LONG CAN SPELT BREAD CAN BE STORED?
This homemade spelt bread can be stored, covered with a bag in a chilled place for up to 5 days.