Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers Recipe
These vegetarian stuffed peppers and one of the best vegetarian dinner recipes I've ever made. They are healthy, packed with proteins, easy to make and super delicious. These bell peppers are stuffed with quinoa, black beans and topped with melted cheese. One you try this version of stuffed peppers you will forget about the classic version.
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3-4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup (85g) Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (150z/425g) Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400g) Crushed tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 2-3 tablespoons Parsley, chopped
- 8-10 Bell peppers, medium
- 1/2 cup Tomato sauce
- Cheese of your choice
- Cook the quinoa: Rinse the quinoa under cool water, until the water comes out transparent. Put rinsed quinoa in a medium saucepan. Add 1 cup
(240ml) of water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa is fluffy. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In a large pan or skillet heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add cooked quinoa, black beans, crushed tomatoes, seasoning, chopped parsley, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Cut the tops of the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Fill loosely the peppers with the filling mixture.
- Spread few tablespoons of tomato sauce at the bottom of a 9X13-inch (22X33cm) square baking dish or a 30cm round baking dish. Arrange stuffed peppers in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top.
- Grease with oil a piece of foil and cover the pepper with oiled side down.
- Bake, covered, for 35-40 minutes, remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more until the peppers are tender and the cheese is melted.