Syrniki Recipe | Russian Cheese Pancakes
Syrniki (Russian cheese pancakes) are my favorite pancakes. These pancakes are light, soft, high protein and they don’t contain much flour. Syrniki usually served with sour cream and fruit jam and they are perfect for breakfast.
- 700g Farmers Cheese (tvorog cheese), drained
- 1 Egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (42g) All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Sour cream for serving
- Jam for serving
- Using a fine mesh sieve or a cheesecloth, squeeze as mush liquids as possible out the cheese. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and mix until combined and smooth.
- Add flour and raisins and stir and combined (do not over mix).
- Scoop out a portion of the batter, coat with flour and shape into 3/4-inch (1.5cm) thick patty. Coat the outside in flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Heat a large pan/skillet over medium heat, add butter/oil.
- Fry syrniki over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream and jelly/jam.
*Traditional syrniki are made with tvorog cheese (farmers cheese), if you can't find this cheese you can use fresh ricotta, but bake sure that you squeeze as much liquid as possible.