Fluffy Japanese Pancakes Recipe | How to Make Souffle Pancakes
These fluffy Japanese pancakes are soft and fluffy like clouds. They are the perfect light breakfast. Many people think souffle pancakes are hard to make, but actually, if you follow the recipe, step by step, you'll get the perfect jiggly Japanese souffle pancakes.
For the pancakes:
- 2 eggs, departed
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Pure vanilla bean pate/extract
- 1/4 cup (32g) All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Pinch Salt
- Cooking spray
- Separate the eggs into two different bowls.
- To the egg yolks add milk, vanilla bean paste and whisk until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Sift in flour and baking powder. Stir until combined and smooth. Set aside.
- To the bowl with the egg whites add pinch of salt and whisk until frothy, then, gradually add the sugar, 1 teaspoon at the time, while constantly whisking. Whisk to firm peaks.
- Take one-third of the egg whites and fold into the egg yolk mixture. Whisk until incorporated. Then, half of the remaining egg whites and gently fold it to the egg yolk mixture, fold just until combined. Then pour the egg yolk mixture into the remaining egg whites and gently fold.
- Heat a non-stick pan over low heat. use cooking spray to lightly grease the pan. Using a small ladle or a tablespoon, scoop about 2-3 tablespoon of the batter. When you finish scooping 3 pancakes, stack one more scoop of batter onto the first scoop already in the pan. Repeat for the next two pancakes, repeat, giving each pancake 2-3 scoops of batter.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of water in three empty spaces inside the pan, and cover with a lid. Cook for about 5 minutes, until golden.
- Open the lid, gently flip the pancakes. Add 2-3 teaspoons of water in three empty spaces inside the pan, and cover with a lid. Cook for about 5 minutes, until golden.
- Serve immediately otherwise the pancakes will deflate and lose their volume.
- I recommend folding the batter using a whisk, this way the batter does not lose volume and no lumps of egg whites remain in the batter.
- For extra fluffy pancake and one more egg white.
- Serve the pancakes immediately, otherwise they will deflate and lose their volume.
- Serve with fresh fruits, whipped cream or maple syrup.