Lebanese Nights Dessert (Layali Lubnan) Recipe
This amazing and aromatic dessert called Lebanese nights/layali Lubnan (ليالي لبنان). This delicious cake is made from a rich semolina pudding, topped with a layer of cream, sprinkled with chopped pistachios and drizzled with a syrup. This Lebanese dessert is really easy to make, it’s smell amazing and looks pretty special. If you are looking for an easy dessert for hot summer days or maybe for Ramadan, this dessert is definitely for you.
For the syrup:
- 2/3 cup (133g) Sugar
- 2/3 cup (160ml) Water
- 1 teaspoon Rose water/orange blossom
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
For the custard:
- 3/4 cup (135g) Semolina
- 1/2 cup (100g) Sugar
- 1 liter (4 cups) Milk
- 2 teaspoons Rose water/orange blossom
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 cup (160ml) Milk
- 1½ cup (360ml) Heavy cream
- 3½ tablespoons (26g) Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons (25g) Sugar
- Make the custard: in a pot combined all custard ingredient except vanilla extract. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and keep cooking, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens. About 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, add vanilla extract and stir. Pour the batter into a greased 9X13-inch (22*32cm) pan. Allow to cool while making the cream.
- Make the cream layer: in a small bowl whisk milk and cornstrach until no lumps. Set aside. In a small saucepan place heavy cream, sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat, pour in milk mixture and stir until thickens. Pour over the semolina layer and spread evenly. Let cool to room temperature, cover and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- For the syrup: in a small saucepan bring to a boil sugar, water, lemon juice and rose water/ orange blossom. Let boil for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios and sprinkle on top of the cake.
- When ready to serve, cut to squares or personal portions and drizzle with syrup.
What is Lebanese nights dessert?
Lebanese nights dessert /layali Lubnan (ليالي لبنان) is a traditionally Lebanese dessert made of rich, cold semolina pudding as a first layer, the second layer is made of thick cream, then there is layer of chopped pistachios and all these drizzled with syrup.
How long can we store Lebanese nights dessert?
You can keep the cake in the fridge, covered up to 5 days.
- Traditional the cream layer of this dessert made with canned thick cream (that’s what if find in most recipes), I know it’s not a very common ingredient in many countries so I canes the recipe a bit to make it easier.
- To add a bit of sourness to the cream layer I would recommend to add ½ cup of cream cheese.
- Instead of 9X13” pan you can use 11” round cake pan (28cm).
OTHER MIDDLE EASTERN DESEERT RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE: