For the Cake:
For the syrup:
1. Preheat oven to 180C (360F). Grease an 9x9-inch (23cm) or a 9-10” (23-26cm) round cake pan with butter.
2. In a large bowl beat egg with sugar until light and pale. Add melted butter, vanilla extract, yogurt, and beat on low speed until incorporated. add semolina, flour, coconut, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
3. Transfer the mixture into the pan and spread evenly. Cut a diamond or square design in the cake with a butter knife. Place an almond in the center of each diamond.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Meanwhile make the syrup: in a small saucepan place water and sugar, place the saucepan over medium-high heat until boils. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add lemon juice, rose water and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Cut the cake again along the pre-cut lines and pour the syrup over the cake while the cake is still hot. Let cool before serving.