For the nut mixture:
For the syrup:
1. Place walnuts, pistachios, salt and cinnamon into a food processor and process until coarsely ground. Set aside.
2. Make the syrup: in a small saucepan combine all the syrup ingredients and bring to boil. wait until the sugar is dissolves and simmer 4-5 minutes more. Pour 1/3 of the syrup into the nut mixture and mix until combined. Set the rest aside and let cool while you are making the baklava.
3. Preheat oven to 170C (340F). Grease the bottom of a 9-inch (23cm) springform pan and set aside.
4. Make cheesecake filling: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar on medium speed until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time and beat after each addition. Add sour cream, heavy cream, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth. At the end add cornstarch and beat until incorporated.
5. Assembling: Unroll phyllo dough and cover with a damp towel to keep from drying out as you work. Take one sheet and lay the sheet inside the pan, pushing into the sides and allowing one end of the pastry to overhang the top edge of the springform pan. Brush the phyllo sheet and repeat the process with 8-10 layers, until the bottom and the sides of the pan is completely covered.
6. Evenly spread 1/2 of the nut mixture over the phyllo crust. Pour cheesecake mixture over the nut layer. Then, sprinkle the remaining nuts on top of the filling. Place 2-3 layers of phyllo and fold over the overhanging phyllo to cover the cheesecake. Brush with butter on top.
7. Bake the cheesecake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown on top and just set in the middle. If after 30 minutes in the oven, the cake turns too brown, cover with foil for the rest of baking
8. While the cheesecake is still warm, pour the remaining syrup over top to soak. Garnish with chopped pistachios. Let cool completely in room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Other Recipes You May Like: