For the crust:
For the cream:
1. In a food processor, process cold cubed butter, flour, ground almond, powdered sugar and pinch salt. Process until crumbs are formed. Add egg and vanilla extract, process until dough is formed.
2. Transfer the dough to a work surface, pat into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 180C/375F.
4. Roll out the dough on a parchment paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and cut your number/letter/shape. From the leftovers roll again the dough, refrigerate for 30 minutes and cut another number/letter/shape. For one cake you will need two layers of biscuit.
5. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until slightly golden in the edges. Let cool completely.
6. Make the cream: in a large bowl beat mascarpone and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Add vanilla extract and heavy cream and beat to stiff peaks. Transfer to a piping bag (you can buy piping bags and tips here: http://bit.ly/pipingbag1)
7. Pipe the mascarpone cream over the first biscuit, then gently place the second biscuit on top. Pipe the remaining cream and decorate as you like.
More Birthday Cake Recipes: