For the crust:
For the cream:
1. In a food processor, process cold cubed butter, flour, ground almond, powdered sugar and pinch salt. Process until crumbs are formed. Add egg and vanilla extract, process until dough is formed.
2. Transfer the dough to a work surface, pat into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 180C/375F.
4. Roll out the dough on a parchment paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and cut your number/letter/shape. From the leftovers roll again the dough, refrigerate for 30 minutes and cut another number/letter/shape. For one cake you will need two layers of biscuit.
5. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until slightly golden in the edges. Let cool completely.
6. Make the cream: in a large bowl beat mascarpone and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Add vanilla extract and heavy cream and beat to stiff peaks. Transfer to a piping bag (you can buy piping bags and tips here: http://bit.ly/pipingbag1)
7. Pipe the mascarpone cream over the first biscuit, then gently place the second biscuit on top. Pipe the remaining cream and decorate as you like.
Frequently asked questions:
CAN WE MAKE NUMBER CAKE A DAY AHEAD?
The number cake is at its best in the day of the preparation, but yes, you can prepare the tarts a day ahead, store them in the fridge. Also prepare the cream a day a head or in the day of serving and store in the fridge. Then, when ready to serve, pipe the cream over the tarts and assembly the cake and serve. But I would not recommend making the whole cake ahead of time, as the tart become soggy after some tome.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST NUMBER CAKE?
To make the best number cake for the birthday of your loved ones you must follow these steps: 1. Go trough ingredient list and make sure you have all the ingredients ready. 2. To avoid mistakes, before you start making the cake, read the recipe instructions at least one time and watch the full video. Make sure you understand the whole process. 3. Print and cut the numbers/letters in advance. 4. Make sure you chill the dough in the fridge. 5. Decide how to decorate the cake before you start. 5. Don't assembly the cake ahead of time, otherwise the tart will become too soggy after one day.
CAN THE MASCAROPNE BE REPLACED?
Yes, instead of mascarpone you can use full fat cream cheese in the same amount.
WHAT DECORATIONS CAN WE USE TO MAKE TART CAKE?
If you wondering how you can decorate your letter cakes, I can give some ideas, but you need to remember that the options are endless and you can be as creative as you like and adjust the cake decorations to the person the cake is made for. Here are some ideas: macaron cookies, meringue kisses, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, mango cubs, kiwi, grapes, any fresh berries or fruits, chocolate, chocolate bars, candies, edible flowers, sprinkles, nuts, cocoa powder, marshmallows and more.
WHAT SIZE IS THE LETTERS CAKE/TART CAKE/NUMBER CAKE?
In this recipe I printed the number in a full A4 size, then I cut the number out of the paper, placed on the rolled dough as you can see in the video. If you prefer making a smaller size, you can do it, but I would not recommend making a bigger size.
More Birthday Cake Recipes: