- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line two 8-inch (20cm) round cake pans with parchment paper and grease bottom and sides.
- In one bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, add salt, stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar. Then add eggs, one at the time, beating until combined after each addition. Add oil, vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning by adding 1/2 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 of the buttermilk. Then repeat this process. Beat until fully incorporating after each addition.
- Divide the batter between prepared pans. Bake for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then release from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make the frosting: in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy. In a separate bowl beat heavy cream to stiff peaks. Then fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- Assembly: Place one cake layer with flat side down. Spread a layer of frosting, place the second layer of cake on top of the frosting, flat side up. Spread evenly the frosting on top and sides of the cake. Decorate the edges of the cake with sprinkles.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180C˚). Butter two 8-inch (20cm) cake pans and line the bottoms with a parchment paper, grease the sides. Lightly dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- To a large bowl add flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix buttermilk, coffee (or water), eggs, oil and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, whisk until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: in a large bowl beat butter until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and beat until combined and smooth. Add cocoa powder vanilla extract and salt. Beat until combined. gradually add powdered sugar, beat on low speed until combined and creamy.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag. Cut the top of the cakes.
- Place one cake layer with flat side down. Spread a layer of frosting, place the second layer of cake on top of the frosting, flat side up. Spread evenly the frosting on top and sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
Frequently asked questions and tips:
The use of buttermilk in cakes and cupcakes helps the cake to get a moist and airy texture, in most of my recipes I use buttermilk and indeed you can feel the difference.
What can we use instead of buttermilk?
If you cannot find buttermilk in your country, you can make a home buttermilk: stir 1 cup (240ml) of whole milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice, let stand for 10 minutes before use. If you still prefer not to use buttermilk you can use whole milk instead.
How to adjust to 9inch (23 cm) pan?
If you prefer to make the cake in a larger pan such as 9-inch, you should multiply all the ingredients by 1.33
Can this recipe be used for cupcakes?
This recipe is very similar to a cupcake recipe, but instead of adapting this recipe for cupcakes, I have prepared full and detailed recipes for you: Vanilla Cupcakes, Chocolate Cupcakes
How store the cake?
The cake can be stored covered, in the fridge, up to 5 days.