- Make the sponge cake: Preheat the oven to 340°F (170°C), line a 9x13” (cm) pan with parchment paper, lightly grease it and set aside.
- In a large bowl place 3/4 cup (150g) sugar and egg yolks. Beat until the mixture is pale in color and doubled in volume. Add milk, vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined (don’t over mix). Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until foamy, gradually add 1/4 cup sugar (50g) and beat to stiff peaks.
- Fold 1/3 of egg whites into the batter, then pour the batter into egg whites and gently fold. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. release the cake from the pan and let to cool on a wire rack. While cake cools, make the tres leches syrup.
- Make the syrup: to a bowl add 3 milks, whisk until combined.
- Place the cake back into the pan, then using a fork or a toothpick poke/pierce holes in the cake. Slowly pour the tres leches syrup over the top of the cake letting it soak in as you go. Set the cake aside for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Make the frosting: in a large bowl place heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract. Whip to stiff peaks. Release the cake from the pan and spread the cream over the top of the cake.
- Trim the edges (optional), then cut into squares.
What is tres leches cake?
Tres Leches cake (in Spanish: pastel de tres leches, torta de tres leches or bizcocho de tres leches) is a sponge cake soaked in 3 kinds of milk; whole milk, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk and the cake topped with whipped cream. The name of the cake comes from Spanish and translation is three milks. Tres leches cake is originally from Mexico and popular all over Latin America.
What can substitute with evaporated milk?
In this recipe you can use heavy cream or half&half instead of evaporated milk?
Can I make tres laches cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make tres leches cake few days (1-3) in advance and refrigerate until ready to use. I would recommend making the topping just before serving.
Can I freeze tres leches cake?
You can bake the sponge cake, let it cool, then wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it (without soaking in milk mixture). After soaking the cake in milk mixture you can’t freeze the cake.
How Long Does it Keep?
You can keep tres leches cake in the refrigerator covered up to 3 days. Just pay attention that that after some time the whipped cream may be so stable and fluffy.
OTHERT DESSERT RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE: