This Italian hot chocolate is thick, smooth, creamy and warm. A full mug of rich hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings is the perfect way to start a wintry morning. If you have never tried Italian style hot chocolate (Cioccolata Calda), follow this easy recipe to learn how to make the best hot chocolate. This homemade hot chocolate is the ultimate comfort food!
INGREDIENTS FOR YIELDS
1½ cups (360ml) Milk
1-2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon (8g) Cocoa powder
4 oz (115g) Dark chocolate (70%)
1-2 tablespoons (7.5-15g) Cornstarch
Whipped cream + cocoa powder/chocolate shavings for serving
1. Chop the chocolate. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan place the rest of the milk with sugar, salt and cocoa powder. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, add the cornstarch mixture, whisk until combined and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add chopped chocolate, turn the heat off and whisk for 2-3 minutes, until completely dissolved and thick.
5. Pour into a mug, garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
In this recipe I used only one tablespoon of cornstarch. For a thicker consistency you can use 2 tablespoons. It’s totally up to your preference.
You can control the sweetness of the hot chocolate by adding more or less sugar.
Can you use milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate for the recipe?Reply
You can, but it would be much sweeter.Reply
What kind of milk should i use?Reply
I tried this recipe and it wasn't thick at all. Do you have any idea why it wasn't?Reply
Your email address will not be published