South African Bobotie Recipe
Bobotie – south African dish that is made with sweet curried ground beef, topped with creamy milk and eggs custard. Amazing mix of flavors. This dish is comforting, easy to make and loved by everyone. Perfect casserole dish for family weekends, for holidays or any occasion. If you have never tried this south African meat pie, you should give it a try.
For the meat mixture:
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small Carrots or 1 large, grated
- 4 Bay leaves
- 500g Ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Chutney/apricot jam
- 2 slices White bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup (240ml) Milk
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Milk
- 2 Eggs
- Salt to taste
- Pepper taste
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Soak the bread in milk and set aside.
- In a large pan or skillet heat oil, add chopped onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add grated carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add turmeric, curry powder, cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef, cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Add the chutney and stir. Add 1/2 cup of water (or beef broth) and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Squeeze the milk from the bread, reserving the milk for later. Add the bread to the meat mixture and mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly into an oven proof dish.
- To the remaining milk add another 1/2 cup of milk, add 2 eggs, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Pour over the meat mixture and arrange bay leaves on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and egg layer is set.