Japanese Strawberry Shortcake | Fluffy Japanese Strawberry Cake
If you have tasted Japanese cakes before, you probably know how soft and fluffy they are. If you were wondering how to make a Japanese strawberry shortcake, with the help of this recipe you will learn how to make a cake like in a Japanese bakery. This beautiful cake is bake of two layers of vanilla sponge cake, in between, whipped cream with fresh strawberries, and all these goodness covered with cream and fresh strawberries. A perfect cake for Christmas, birthdays and parties.
For the sponge cake:
- 4 Egg whites
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup (100g) Sugar
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Milk
- 3 tablespoons (45g) Butter, melted
- 1 cup (125g) Cake flour
For the cream:
- 1¾ cups (420ml) Heavy cream
- 75g Powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons (25g) sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) Water
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Grease a 8-inch (20cm) round cake pan and set aside.
- Make the sponge cake: in a large bowl, or in a bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until foamy. Then, gradually, while constantly whisking, add sugar, 1 tablespoon at the time. Whisk until stiff and glossy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, vanilla extract, milk and melted butter. Sift in flour and mix until combined.
- Scoop 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture, fold until smooth. Then, pour back into the meringue and fold until just combined. Do not overfold.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, tap the pan on the counter, release and place it on a rack. Let it cool completely.
- Make the syrup: in a small saucepan heat sugar and water, when sugar dissolves, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Make the cream: in a large bowl, whip heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla bean paste to stiff peaks.
- Assembly: Spread a layer of whipped cream on one cake layer, then arrange a layer of sliced strawberries, then spread another layer of whipped cream. Place the second cake layer on top. Spread the sides and top of the cake with whipped cream.
- Decorate: pipe whipped cream on top of the cake as desired.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Before serving decorate the cake with fresh strawberries.