Shepherd's Pie - the perfect comfort food ever! layer of ground lamb with vegetables cover with mashed potato layer. This dish is so rich and comforting! Perfect dish for cold winter days.
For the meat mixture:
For the puree:
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into 4. Place in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, add a teaspoon of salt, cover and bring to a boil. cook until tender.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté 2-3 minutes, add crushed garlic and chopped carrots, sauté until the carrots are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the ground lamb, Cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, chopped rosemary and thyme. Add tomato paste, flour and stir.
4. Add beef broth and frozen peas. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens.
5. When the potatoes are done cooking transfer them to a bowl. Add butter, milk, egg yolk, salt and pepper. mash the potatoes until smooth.
6. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
7. Layer the meat mixture in a 13"X8.5" (33X22cm) ovenproof dish. Spread the puree over the meat mixture. 8. Bake 20-25 minutes. or until mashed potato is golden brown.