For the crust:
For the filling:
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Process few seconds until combined. Add cold, cubed butter and pulse until crumbs are formed. Gradually add ice water and pulse until a dough forms.
2. Divide the dough into 2 pieces, flatten into disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile pit the cherries, and place in a large bowl. Add sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract and salt. Mix well and set aside for 20 minutes. Drain excess liquids.
4. On a floured work surface roll out one piece of dough into a circle 12 (30cm) inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough into a 9-inch (22-23cm) pie dish and press the edges. Pour the pitted cherries into the dish. Dot with butter. Place in the fridge while you working with the second dough.
5. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
6. Roll out the second dough into a circle 10 inches’ (25cm) in diameter. Using a pastry wheel or knife cut 10 strips. Arrange lattice pattern: Lay out 5 strips on top of the filling, with. Fold back every other strip. Add a strip perpendicular to the parallel strips. Unfold and repeat with the other parallel strips until the lattice pattern is ready.
7. Fold the strips under the bottom pie crust and press to seal.
8. Beat egg and cream. Brush the crust and sprinkle with sugar.
9. Bake for 15 minutes then reduce to 350F(176C) and bake 40-50 minutes more. After 20-25 minutes add a pie crust shield or aluminum foil on top of the pie.
10. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 4 hours.