These apple hand pies are so delicious! They are crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside and smell amazing! If you like classic apple pie, you must try these homemade apple hand pies. They are perfect for parties, holiday, birthdays and weekends.
For the crust:
- 2 cups (250g) All-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2/3 cup (155g) Butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Ice cold water *if needed add more
For the filling:
- 3 Apples
- 2 tablespoons (30g) Butter
- 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (16g) Cornstarch
- Egg wash for brushing
- Make the dough: in a large bowl whisk flour, salt and sugar. Add cubed butter and using a dough blender, blend the dough with the butter until crumbs are formed. You also can do this process using a food processor.
- Add the water and stir until incorporated.
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile make the filling: peel and chop the apples.
- In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter. Then add chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat until apples are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, add cornstarch, stir and set aside to cool.
- Assembly: preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- On a floured surface roll out the dough to a 1/8 inch (3mm) thick. Using a round cutter, cut out 4-inch (10 cm) circles.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the apple mixture in the center of the circles. Brush the edges of the circle with beaten egg and fold the dough over the filling and seal the edges with a fork. Refrigerate the dough for 20-30 minutes.
- Brush the pies with egg wash, then, using a paring knife, cut a few small slits on the top of each hand pie, then sprinkle with sugar (optional).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Frequently asked questions:
HOW TO STORE APPLE HAND PIES?
Store apple hand pies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3 days.
CAN WE MAKE CLASSIC APPLE PIE WITH THE SAME RECIPE?
If you want to make a classic apple pie, follow this easy recipe: Classic apple pie
WHAT APPLES ARE THE BEST FOR APPLE PIE?
There are many types of apples that you can use to make apple pie. You can use one type or several different types. Here are some apples you can use: granny smith, honeycrisp, golden delicious, Jonathan and more.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE: