1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
2. Brush ramekins with melted/softened butter. Coat with bread crumbs.
3. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce gently boils. Remove from heat and Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and chopped chives (this is the time to add other spices). stir in the cheese until melted. Whisk in the yolks. Set aside.
4. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with pinch salt until stiff peaks form. Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the cheese mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour into the ramekins. Sprinkle with parmesan (optional).
5. Place the ramekins in the lower rack. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown and puffed Serve immediately.
Your email address will not be published