Have you ever tried Baklava? Recently it has become a popular recipe. But probably you've never tried rolled baklava (Saragil). This beautiful recipe is easy to make and amazingly delicious.
For the baklava:
- Phyllo dough
- 300g Pistachios/Walnuts/Almonds
- 150g Butter, melted
For the syrup:
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) Water
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon Rose water
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Make the syrup: in a saucepan combine sugar, water, lemon zest, cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and cook for additional 4-5 minutes. Turn the heat off and add lemon juice and rose water. Stir and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 320F (160C). Prepare a 9X13 Inch baking pan and set aside.
- Prepare the baklava: in a food processor a using a knife, chop all the nuts into course meal size. Set aside.
- Spread one sheet of phyllo on a clean towel or a counter. Brush with butter, lay another phyllo sheet, then brush with more melted butter. Sprinkle about 2-3 tablespoons of the nut mixture. Take 2 wooden skewers and place them on the sheet as shown in the video. Roll the dough, then gently press the ends together towards the middle and remove the skewers.
- Transfer to prepared dish. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Drizzle rolled baklava with remaining butter. Cut into small tubes.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown. If after 40 minutes of baking the baklava turns too brown, cover with aluminum foil for the rest of the baking.
- Remove from oven and immediately pour the syrup.
- Allow to soak in syrup for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and serve.