Maamoul Recipe | Semolina Stuffed Cookies
Maamoul cookies are semolina cookies that are usually stuffed with dates or nuts. In this recipe I made two version of maamoul cookies. The first stuffing is the classic maamoul, with dates, the second version is with pistachios. If you’ve never tried you these middle eastern cookies, you should know that they are melt in your mouth. These cookies are perfect for Christmas, for Ramadan or just with a cup of tea.
- Make the dough: in a large bowl or in a bowl of a stand mixer, mix semolina with melted butter and oil. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Take the dough out of the fridge. If the dough is too hard, allow to rest at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Add flour, cornstarch, powdered sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Add milk, vanilla extract, rose water and mix until dough forms. Cover and let rest for 1 hour. Then, shape the dough into small balls and set aside.
- Make the date filling: in a food processor place pitted dated and cinnamon. Process until smooth paste forms. Shape into small balls and set aside.
- Make the pistachio filling: place pistachios, sugar and cinnamon into the food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds, add butter and rose water, pulse for 10 seconds more. Shape the mixture into small balls.
- How to assembly maamoul cookies: Press a ball of the dough into a flat shape, place the filling ball on the flattened dough, wrap the filling with the dough and roll into a smooth ball. If you making the chocolate maamoul, just place a 1-2 teaspoons of chocolate spread int the middle.
- Press the filled dough into a maamoul mold, then release gently from the mold. If it's too sticky flour the mold before using.
- Arrange all the cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Bake for 20 Minutes until the cookies are very slightly golden.
- Dust generously with powdered sugar. Allow to cool before serving.
Frequently asked questions:
How to store maamoul cookies?
You can store maamoul cookies, covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Where can we buy maamoul mold/maamoul spoon?
You can easily buy plastic maamoul mold/maamoul spoon here: https://amzn.to/3D2bSYW
Or wooden Maamoul mold here: https://amzn.to/3E1jU5r