For the pastry:
For the filling:
1. Make the pastry: in a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add cubed butter and rub it with the flour until you get a crumbly texture.
2. Beat 2 eggs with cold water and add it to the flour mixture, mix until dough is formed. Do not over mix! Wrap the dough with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Make the filling: in a large pan heat oil. Add onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until translucent. Add diced carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the meat and cook, breaking it apart, for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and flour. stir and cook for 2 minutes more.
4. Add in cubed potatoes stir well. Pour in the water/broth. Stir.
5. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, until thickens. Set aside to cool.
6. Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
7. Divide the dough into 2-4 pieces (you also can roll the whole dough, dividing it just making it easier to work). Roll out the dough into 1/8-inch (1/4 cm) thickness. Cut out a round shape with your desired sized. Combine all the leftover dough and roll it again to make more circles.
8. Place about 1-2 tablespoons of the meat mixture in the center, brush the edges with water and fold over the dough. Seal it with your fingers or with a fork. Poke the pies with a fork to create a steam outlet while baking brush the pies with beaten egg.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Cool slightly before serving.
More meat pie recipes that you may like: