Curry Mac and Cheese Recipe
If you like mac and cheese and you like curry recipes. You are going to LOVE this curry mac and cheese! This macaroni and cheese is creamy, rich and spiced with curry flavors. This curried mac and cheese is a great fusion dish.
- 5 tablespoons (75g) Butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, grated
- 4 Tablespoons (30g) Flour
- 1 tablespoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 4 cups (1L) Coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 7oz (200g) Cheddar cheese
- 7oz (200g) Mozzarella cheese
- 14oz 400g Pasta
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Grate the cheeses and combine then in a large bowl. set aside.
- To a large pot of water and 1 tablespoon of salt and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente (1-2 minutes less then package instructions).
- While the pasta is cooking make the sauce: In a large pot, melt 4 tablespoons (60g) of butter add chopped onion sauté over medium-low heat until golden, about 6-7 minutes, add crushed garlic and grated ginger. Cook for 1 minute. Add garam masala, curry powder and paprika, cook for 1 minute. Melt another tablespoon (15g) of butter and add flour, cook, stirring constantly until smooth paste forms.
- Gradually, while constantly whisking, pour the coconut milk. Whisk until smooth. Cook until slightly thickens, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add 3/4 of the cheese mixture and whisk until melted and combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce.
- Transfer to a 12-inch (30cm) round baking dish, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 of the cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Frequently asked questions:
CAN WE USE COW'S MILK INSTEAD OF COCONUT MILK?
In this mac and cheese recipe I used coconut milk to enhance curry flavors, but you can use cow's milk if you prefer so.
WHAT KIND OF CHEESE CAN WE USE TO MAKE CURRY MAC AND CHEESE?
I used mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese, but you can use any cheese that you like. Here are some chesses that you can use: gruyere cheese, Provolone, Asiago Cheese, Gouda and more.