- Preheat oven to 200°F (100°C), line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a large, clean bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer. Add a pinch of salt and cream of tartar (optional). Beat egg whites until foamy, start by beating on low then increase to high speed, when the mixture is foamy, add the sugar very slowly one teaspoon at a time while continuing to beat.
- Once all the sugar has been added, continue whisking on high speed and whisk until the meringue is glossy and very stiff.
- Stir in vanilla extract or other flavouring (see recipe notes). At this stage you can add gel food coloring if desired.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a tip/nozzle of your choice. Or just cut the end of the piping bag and pipe without a tip. If you wish you can color your kisses by adding food coloring gel strips inside your pastry bag before filling (see the video).
- Pipe the kisses onto the prepared trays. Squeeze lightly on the piping bag slowly pulling up before quickly lifting off to create the tip.
- Place the tray on the center rack and bake for about an hour, then turn the oven off and keep closed for an additional 1-2 hours.
Notes and tips to make the best meringue kisses:
How long do meringue cookies last?
Store meringue kisses in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. The best way to store them is in a dry environment, otherwise the cookies might be a bit sticky after a few days.
Why my meringue is not stiff?
You need to follow several important rules:
- Use room temperate egg whites.
- Make sure there is no egg yolks in your egg whites.
- Make sure your bowl is very clean and there is no any water or grease, otherwise you’ll not be able to rich stiff peaks. Don’t use plastic bowl.
- Add the sugar gradually, one teaspoon at the time.
- If you have access to cream of tartar in your country, use it. It will help you to achieve very stiff meringue. Add it at the beginning, at the same stage when you adding the salt.
Can I use hand mixer to make meringue cookies?
Yes, you can use hand mixer and follow the same process. It may take longer, but it will work.
Why my meringue kisses are not smooth?
Pipe your meringue as soon as it’s done. Meringue will lose consistency if it sits around for a long time. If you are using food coloring, it’s better to add it while whisking and not folding as I did in the video, otherwise it may affect the consistency.
Can meringue kisses be made with liquid food coloring?
No, the best way to color meringue is by using gel food coloring. Usually liquid food coloring is not suitable.
How to flavor meringue kisses?
If you would like to add more flavour to your cookies except vanilla, you can add different kind of extracts such as; almond extract, rum extract, orange blossom, rose water, coconut extract, raspberry extract or any other flavour that you like. Usually 1 teaspoon would be enough.
More Recipes you may like: