Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
This mushroom barley soup is of the most flavorful and comforting soups I’ve ever made. A perfect mushroom soup for cold winter days that will warm you up. This easy soup is made of fresh mushrooms, dried porcini mushrooms, carrots, celery, pearl barley and more delicious ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- Celery, chopped
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 Potato, diced
- 300g White button mushrooms
- 60g Dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup (200g) Pearl barley, rinsed
- 2.5L Water/stock
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, chopped (optional)
- I a bowl place dried mushrooms, pour1-2 cups of how water and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile start making the soup: in a large pot heat olive oil, add chopped onion and fry until slightly golden, add crushed garlic, chopped celery and diced carrots and fry for 3-4 minutes, add diced potato, chopped white button mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain soaked mushrooms, chop them and add to the pot, add chopped potato, pearl barley. Add the mushroom soaking liquids, and 2.5L of water.
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer until the pearl barley are cooked to al dente, about 20-25 minutes.
- Check the seasoning, if needed add spices. Turn the heat off and add chopped parsley (optional).