Mashed Potato Fries Recipe
These mashed potato fries are a refreshing twist for the classic French fries. Fried mashed potato sticks are made of mashed potatoes, cheese and herbs. These homemade mashed potato fries are crispy on the outside and soft and cheesy from the inside. They are easy to make and perfect as a snack for any meal.
- 500g Potatoes
- 2/3 cup (80g) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup (60g) cup Cornstarch
- Oregano/Parsley/Coriander or any fresh/dried herbs of your choice (optional)
- Peel and cut potatoes into small chunks.
- Fill a large pot with water, add 1 teaspoon of salt. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl, add salt, pepper, oregano, crushed garlic and shredded cheese. Mash the potatoes into smooth puree. Add cornstarch and mix/mash.
- Transfer into a piping bag fitted with a round tip and pipe into long strips (on a cutting board or a parchment paper).
- If you don’t have a piping bag, you also can divide the mixture into small balls and roll then into a strips.
- In a wide pan heat oil to 350F (180C).
- Fry mashed potato strips until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil.