Fruit Cake Recipe | How to Make the Best Christmas Cake
This classic fruit cake is the perfect cake for Christmas and holidays. This fruit cake is packed with dried fruits and nuts and it’s light and delicious. Make this cake for your friends and family and they will thank you!
- 1 cup (230g) Butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) Light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (65g) Dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (80g) Dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup (50g) Golden raisins
- 1/3 cup (50g) Dark raisins
- 1/2 cup (80g) Dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup (75g) Dried figs, chopped
- 3/4 cup (80g) Walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup (80g) Pecans, chopped
- Orange zest from one orange
- Orange juice from one orange
- 2/3 cup (160ml) Rum/brandy/water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 4 Eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups (220g) All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180C˚). Butter a 8-inch (20cm) cake pan and line the bottoms with a parchment paper, grease the sides. Set aside.
- In a saucepan combine butter, sugar, rum/water, dried fruits, chopped nuts, orange zest and orange juice. Place the sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir until incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the cake become too brown on the top after 20 minutes and not baked from inside, cover with foil for the rest of the baking.
- Allow to cool before serving.