1. Preheat oven to 300F (150C).
2. Scrape the vanilla bean. In a saucepan whisk heavy cream, vanilla seeds and empty vanilla bean. Place the saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer. Do not boil!
3. Whisk together sugar and egg yolks, add 1/3 cup of the warm cream mixture to the yolks and whisk quickly to temper the egg mixture. Add in the remaining cream, whisking constantly.
4. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a large bowl.
5. Pour the crème brulee mixture into 4 individual ramekins. Place the ramekins in a large roasting tray. Carefully add the boiling water into the tray until it is halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set, but still a little jiggly in the middle.
7. Remove the ramekins from the hot water and let cool at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
8. Before serving spread 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each dish and brulee with a torch until the sugar caramelizes. Let it set for about 5 minutes before serving.