Learn how to make the best chicken schnitzel – crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. If you are not familiar with this dish, chicken schnitzel (Chicken cutlets) is a pounded chicken breast coated with breadcrumbs. If you are looking for a budget meal that your kids and family will love, this schnitzel recipe is for you.
- 2 lbs (900g) boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 large breasts)
- 1 cup (125g) Flour for dredging
- 2-2½ cups (200-250g) Breadcrumbs, panko or regular
- 3-4 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, optional
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Cut each chicken breast into two pieces. Place each piece of chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap. Use a mallet or a rolling pin to pound the breasts until they are about ¼ inch (1/2cm) thick.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Set up three wide and shallow bowls/plates. In the first bowl place flour, in the second beat eggs with mustard, in the third bowl mix breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Start by coating the chicken in the flour mixture first, shaking off any excess, then dip in egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- I a large skillet or pan, heat oil. Once the oil is hot enough place a schnitzel into the skillet and fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve with fresh salad and enjoy! Squeeze some lemon on top if the schnitzel (optional).
More chicken recipes: