For the gnocchi:
For the sauce:
1. Make the gnocchi: Put the potatoes in a large pot. Fill the pot with cold water and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to water to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Drain and let cool slightly until cool enough to handle but still warm. Peel and transfer to a large bowl. Mash the potatoes until there is no lumps. Add egg and mix until combined. place mashed potato onto a clean surface, add flour and knead until smooth and soft dough forms. Add more flour if needed.
3. Cut the dough into 4 parts. Roll out each part into a long rope, about 1-inch wide. Slice the rope into ½-inch squares and set aside on a lightly floured surface.
4. At this stage the gnocchi are ready to boil. You can leave then in this shape, or shape them with a fork (you can see the method in the video)
5. Make the sauce: in a large skillet heat olive oil, add chopped onion and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until slightly golden. Add crushed garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more. Pour tomato sauce, add chopped basil and dried oregano. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
6. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the gnocchi in batches, gnocchi are ready when they float to the top.
7. Drain and add to the cooked sauce, add a little pasta water, cook for 1 minute, gently tossing. Serve immediately and grate some parmesan cheese on top.