This German poppy seeds cake (Mohnkuchen) is a very delicate cake with crisp bottom, rich and gentle filling and golden, crisp crumble on top. Special cake for any occasion. There are many different variations for this poppy seed cake with different kind of fillings, streusel and additions. This version is easy to make, with basic ingredients and very delicious.
For the dough:
For the filling:
1. Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
2. Make the dough: in a food processor place flour, sugar and salt. Pulse until combined. add butter and process until crumbs are formed. Press 2/3 of the mixture into bottom of 9-inch (23cm) springform pan. Refrigerate while making the filling.
3. Make the filling: place milk, butter and sugar to a saucepan. Heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolves, bring to a boil.
4. When the mixture begins to boil, gradually add semolina, stirring constantly. Add poppy seeds. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens. set aside to cool.
5. In a large bowl beat ricotta cheese, vanilla extract and egg until creamy and smooth. Add chilled poppy seed mixture to the cheese mixture and stir until combined and smooth.
6. Pour the filling over the chilled crust, then spread the remaining dough on top.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven, let cool completely in the pan, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.