For the mushrooms:
For the dipping sauce:
1. In a medium size bowl stir flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, oregano and baking powder. Gradually add water, whisking, until smooth. If the batter too runny and 1-2 tablespoons flour, if the batter to thick add 1-2 tablespoons water. Set aside.
2. Slice the mushrooms into thick slices.
3. Dip the mushrooms in the batter, then coat with breadcrumbs.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Fry sliced coated mushrooms for 1-2 minutes, flip and fry 1 minute more, until golden and crunchy. Or dip fry until golden. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
5. Make the sauce: mix chili with mayonnaise until combined and smooth.
Frequently asked questions:
CAN YOU FREEZE BREADED MUSHROOMS?
Yes, you can freeze breaded mushrooms. The process is pretty easy, all you need to do is to line all the mushrooms after coating them in the breadcrumbs on a baking tray, place the tray in the freezer for 1 hour, then transfer the breaded mushrooms into a Ziploc bag or a container and freeze up to 2 months. Then, baking making them, take them out of the freezer and fry in hot oil until golden brown.
CAN CRIPSY MUSHROOMS BE BAKED?
If you prefer the healthier version of crispy fried mushroom you can bake them. Before baking spray breaded mushrooms with cooking oil or lightly brush with oil and bake at 400F (200C) in preheated oven, bake until golden and cooked. Be aware that the baked version won't be crispy as the fried version, but it's still good.
WHY SPARKLING WATER?
Sparkling water helps to achieve super crunchy texture. Instead of sparkling water you also can use beer, the beer will also help achieve crunchy texture and also add more flavor.
WHAT MUSHROOMS CAN WE USE TO MAKE CRUNCHY FRIED MUSHROOMS?
To make crunchy fried mushrooms you can use almost any mushrooms that you like: chestnut mushrooms, white button mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, Chanterelle (Girolle) Mushrooms, Cremini mushrooms, Oyster Mushrooms and more.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BREDED CRISPY MUSHROOMS?
These crispy fried or baked mushrooms can be served with almost any dipping sauce or oven ketchup, chili sauce or mayonnaise. Here some ideas for you: tzatziki sauce, tahini sauce, hummus, blue cheese dip, sour cream sip, yogurt dip, guacamole, garlic aioli, spicy mayo and more.