Baked Buffalo Wings
Baked buffalo wings are a popular and delicious dish that are made by seasoning chicken wings, then baking them in the oven and then tossing in a spicy sauce. They are a bit healthier alternative to fried wings as they are baked, reducing the amount of oil and fat used. This dish is a perfect snack or appetizer for any occasion, especially for game day parties or family gatherings. The best time to make baked buffalo wings is in the evening, when you can spend time in the kitchen and enjoy the aroma as they bake. Baked wings have a crispy exterior and a juicy interior, making them a crowd-pleaser that everyone will enjoy. Additionally, they are easy to make and can be customized with different sauces or spices to suit your personal taste.
Why is This Called Buffalo Wings?
Buffalo wings are called as such because they originated in Buffalo, New York. The dish was created at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo in the 1960s, and the combination of spicy sauce and chicken wings soon became a staple menu item at bars and restaurants across the United States. The name "Buffalo wings" pays homage to the dish's origin in Buffalo and has since become a widely recognized term for this delicious snack food.
What to Serve with Buffalo Wings?
Buffalo wings are typically served as a snack or appetizer and can be paired with a variety of sides to create a complete meal. Some popular options include:
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.
- Carrot and celery sticks for a crunchy and refreshing side.
- French fries, sweet potato fries, or tater tots for a crispy and salty accompaniment.
- Baked beans or coleslaw for a creamy and cool side
- Rice, pasta salad, or potato salad for a filling and hearty addition.
The options are endless, so feel free to experiment with different side dishes to find what works best for you and your guests.
Dipping Sauce (Dressing) for Buffalo Wings
Blue cheese dressing and ranch dressing are two of the most popular dipping sauces for buffalo wings. Both sauces provide a cool and creamy contrast to the spicy heat of the wings and enhance the overall flavor of the dish.
- Blue cheese dressing is a classic accompaniment to buffalo wings that has been enjoyed for decades. It is made from a combination of blue cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream, and is flavored with spices and vinegar. The tangy and pungent flavor of the blue cheese pairs perfectly with the spicy wings and provides a creamy texture that is perfect for dipping.
- Ranch dressing is another popular option that has become a staple at many American households. It is made from a combination of mayonnaise, buttermilk, and herbs and spices, and has a creamy and tangy flavor that is perfect for dipping. Ranch dressing is milder in flavor compared to blue cheese dressing and provides a refreshing contrast to the spicy wings. It is a versatile sauce that can be used as a dip for a variety of foods, making it a crowd-pleaser that everyone will enjoy.
Although these are the most common sauces to serve with Buffalo, you can of course choose and serve with any sauce you like.
Tips to Make the Best Buffalo Wings
Here are some tips to help you make the best buffalo wings:
- Bake, don't fry: Baking the wings in the oven is healthier and more convenient than frying them, and it allows the sauce to caramelize and become crispy on the outside.
- Use high heat: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the wings on a wire rack over a baking sheet to allow the hot air to circulate and cook the wings evenly.
- Pat dry the chicken wings: Before baking, liberally pat dry the chicken wings with paper towels, squeezing out as much moisture as you can. This will help the wings become extra crispy in the oven. Excess moisture can prevent the wings from getting crispy and cause the sauce to steam instead of caramelize.
- Use baking powder: Sprinkle a small amount of baking powder over the wings before baking. Baking powder will help dry out the skin, making it crispier.
- Flip halfway through: Flip the wings halfway through baking to ensure even cooking and crispy skin on both sides.
- Toss in sauce: Toss the wings in the hot sauce mixture immediately after baking, making sure each wing is coated in the sauce.
- Serve with sides: Serve the wings with blue cheese or ranch dressing, celery sticks, and carrot sticks for dipping, and additional hot sauce for those who like it extra spicy.
- Experiment with flavors: Try different hot sauces or seasonings to find your favorite flavor combination, or try making a dry rub to add extra flavor to the wings.
By following these tips, you can create delicious and juicy buffalo wings with a crispy exterior that are sure to be a hit at your next gathering. Enjoy!
How to Store Buffalo Wings?
Although buffalo wings are at their best when they are still hot and fresh, buffalo wings can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Here are some tips for storing buffalo wings:
- Cool down the wings: Let the wings cool completely to room temperature before storing them in the refrigerator.
- Store in an airtight container: Transfer the wings to an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap to prevent air from getting in. This will help preserve the freshness and prevent the wings from drying out.
- Reheat properly: To reheat the wings, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and place the wings on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through. Avoid microwaving the wings, as this can make them rubbery and cause the sauce to become watered down.
By following these tips, you can enjoy your buffalo wings for several days after cooking and enjoy their delicious flavor and crispy texture.
Can We Make Buffalo Wings Ahead of Time?
Buffalo wings are a popular game-day snack, and making them ahead of time can save you time and effort on the day of the big game. Here are some tips for making buffalo wings ahead of time for game-day:
- Make the dressing ahead of time: choose your favorite dressing foe the buffalo wings and make it up 2 days ahead, this will save you some time.
- Bake the chicken ahead of time: season chicken wings as described in the recipe, then bake them until they crispy. When ready, let cool to room temperature and store them in the fridge in an airtight container up to 3-4 days.
- When ready to serve: just make the sauce and heat baked wings in the sauce and serve while they are hot along with the dressing and some carrot and celery sticks.