Krembo | Flødebolle | Chocolate Covered Marshmallow
This candy has so many names all around the world; Krembo, Flødebolle, Skumbolle, cream buns and more. This dessert is made of a cookie as base, homemade meringue (marshmallow) and covered with thin layer of chocolate. This treat is known in different countries, in Norway it’s called Flødebolle, in Israel it’s called krembo and this is really delicious and addictive treat.
For the cookies:
- 1/3 cup (75g) Butter, cold
- 4 tablespoons (30g) Powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (100g) Flour
- 2 tablespoons Milk, cold
For the meringue:
- 3 egg whites (100g)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cup (175g) Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla paste
For the chocolate cover:
- 250g Dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- Make the cookies: in a food processor or using a hand dough blender, blend butter, powdered sugar, flour. Blend until crumbs are formed.
- Add milk and blend until dough is formed.
- Transfer to clean working surface and shape into a flat disk form. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 170C (340F)
- On a floured working surface roll out the dough into 1/4-inch (1/2cm) thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut 2-inch (5cm) circles.
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden, set aside to cool completely.
- Make the meringue: in a bowl of a stand mixer combine egg whites and sugar. Place the bowl over a double boiler (a pot with simmering water). Mix until sugar dissolves or until reaches 65C.
- Attach the bowl to the mixer and whisk on high speed for 7-8 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla paste and stir.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a large round piping tip (12-15 mm).
- Pipe the meringue over the cookies as shown in the video. Freeze the cookies for at least 2 hours.
- Make the chocolate cover: in a dip bowl or a measuring cup melt dark chocolate with oil.
- Now you have two ways to cover the krembo. First way: arrange the krembo on a cooling rack, pour melted chocolate over the krembo. Second way: dip the krembo, upside down in the melted chocolate.
- Allow to set before serving.
* Keep the krembo in the freezer up to 1 week
* You can cover the krembo with dark chocolate, milk chocolate or white chocolate.