Homemade Caramel Candies – Soft and chewy Caramels
Learn how to make caramel candies at home. Caramel candies are one of the most famous and well-known candies in the world, but did you know that it is very easy to make them at home? All you need is some basic ingredients that you probably already have and 15 minutes of work. This recipe makes soft and chewy caramels (toffees).
- Oil for greasing
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 1/4 cup (82g) Corn syrup
- 3 tablespoon Water
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (60g) Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- For wrapping: parchment paper
- Line a 8-inch (20cm) square pan with parchment paper. Brush the bottom and sides of the pan with oil or spray with cooking spray.
- In a small sauce pan place butter, heavy cream and salt. Heat over low heat until butter is melted. Set aside.
- In a medium size pan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Heat over medium heat until sugar has come to a boil. Wipe down the sides of the pan with a damp pastry brush so there are no sugar crystals above the surface of the sugar mixture.
- Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan so that the heat sensor is immersed in the sugar. Keep cooking the sugar mixture, until the sugar reaches 320F (160C).
- When sugar mixture reaches 320F (160C), turn the heat off and immediately pour the cream mixture to the pan. Pour slowly and whisk constantly.
- Return the pan to medium heat and cook until reaches 240F/115C (soft caramel) -250F/120C (harder caramel). Do not stir at any point.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour into prepared pan. Allow to cool completely.
- Unmold the caramel and cut into small rectangles. Wrap each caramel in wax paper and twist the ends closed.