Easy Chicken Biryani Recipe
Chicken biryani is one of the most popular Indian dishes and there is a reason for that. Authentic Indian chicken biryani is amazing dish that combines so many flavours in one plate; caramelized onions, marinated chicken, fluffy spiced rice and more. Chicken biryani is a classic one pot meal that is perfect for family dinner, for holidays or for any occasion.
For the chicken:
- 3/4 cup (180g) Plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika/Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 kg Chicken
- 2-3 tablespoons Oil/ghee
- 2 Red onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Garam masala
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 4 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Water
For the rice:
- 2½ cups (500g) Basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 Cardamom pods
- 4 Cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- Mint leaves, chopped
- In a large bowl mix yogurt, chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Add chicken pieces and mix until well coated. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain the rice. Set aside.
- In a large pan heat oil/ghee, add sliced onions and fry over medium heat until golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic paste, ginger paste, garam masala and cook for 1 minute.
- Add marinated chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, 1/4 of water, cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the rice: fill a pan with 3 liters of water, add 2 teaspoons of salt, cardamom, bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon. Add rinsed rice, and cook and almost fully cooked (80%), about 4-5
- Layering: gently spread the rice over the cooked chicken, add chopped mint. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes over low heat.
- Turn the heat off, open the lid, stir to combined and serve!