- Make black tapioca pearls: n a bowl whisk 125g of tapioca starch and 10g cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan whisk 5g of tapioca starch, brown sugar and water. Place the saucepan over low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until thickens. Remove from heat and add tapioca-cocoa mixture, mix until dough is formed. Transfer to a clean surface and knead and the dough is smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts, roll each part into log, then cut each log into small pieces. Shape each piece into a ball.
- Coat the balls with tapioca starch. The tapioca balls are ready (at this stage you can freeze them for later use).
- Cook the tapioca balls: in a saucepan, boil some water. When water is boiling add tapioca pearls and cook for 20 minutes over low-medium heat. Then cover the lid and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Make the peals syrup: Strain the pearls and place them in a medium sized pan, add water, sugar and bring to a boil reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Make the black boba tea: infuse 1 teaspoon of black tea with 1/2 cup (120ml) of hot water. Set aside. For 10 minutes.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the boba pearl syrup to the bottom of the glass, add ice cubes, black tea and milk to your taste.
- Matcha boba tea: in a small bowl whisk 1-2 teaspoons of matcha powder and 1/2 cup (120ml) hot water. Set aside.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the boba pearl syrup to the bottom of the glass, add ice cubes, matcha tea and milk to your taste.
- Mango boba tea: blend mango, water/tea, and milk until smooth.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the boba pearl syrup to the bottom of the glass, add ice cubes and pour the mango mixture.
*Instead of making homemade tapioca pearls you can use store bought, if you are using store bought tapioca pearls, start the recipe from section 6.
WHAT IS BUBBLE TEA?
Bubble tea or boba tea, also known as pearl tea and tapioca milk tea is a tea that is originated in Taiwan and got popular all over the world in the last few years. Boba tea is made of 4 main ingredients: tapioca pearls, tea of your choice, syrup and milk of your choice. Boba tea is usually served in tall, transparent glasses which gives it its unique look as the pearls protrude at the bottom of the glass.
WHAT FLAVORS OF BOBA TEA CAN WE MAKE?
If you making boba tea at home and you are looking for interesting and delicious flavors you can try some of these: black boba tea, Jasmin tea, herbal tea, green tea, boba coffee, strawberry boba tea and more.
HOW LONG CAN WE KEEP TAPIOCA PEARLS?
If you decided to make tapioca pearls at home and not to use store bought, first of all, congratulations, you are not lazy. You can make a big batch of tapioca pearls, then place them in an air tight container and store on the freezer for up to 6 months.
Your email address will not be published