Chicken Parmesan Recipe – a classic American-Italian dish. This chicken parmesan is crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, topped with delicious tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and lots of parmesan cheese. If you like chicken parmigiana follow this recipe to learn how to make the best crispy chicken parmesan.
For the sauce:
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 28oz (800g) Tomato sauce/marinara
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
For the chicken:
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 1 cup (125g) Flour
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1½ cup (180g) Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (23g) Parmesan cheese, grated
For the topping:
- 8oz (225g) Mozzarella cheese
- 2oz (60g) Parmesan cheese
- Pasta of your choice
- Parmesan cheese
- Make the sauce: heat olive oil in a medium sized pan. Add chopped onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until slightly golden. Add crushed garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, oregano. Simmer for 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the chicken: preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- Cut each chicken breast into two pieces. Place each piece of chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap. Use a mallet or a rolling pin to pound the breasts until they are about ¼ inch (1/2cm) thick. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Set up three wide and shallow bowls/plates. In the first bowl place flour, in the second beat eggs with pinch of salt, in the third bowl mix breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, paprika and parmesan.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the flour, then dip in the beaten eggs, then cover every cutlet with breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup canola oil in a large skillet or pan on medium-high heat. Fry the chicken until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Place the chicken on a paper towel.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and top each chicken breast with about 1/4-1/3 cup of tomato sauce. Then, top each chicken breast with fresh basil, mozzarella cheese and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted bubbling and golden.
- While the chicken is in the oven make the pasta: to a large pot filled with water add 1 tablespoon of salt and bring to a boil. When water is boiling, add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Add 1 cup of pasta cooking water and add to remining tomato sauce, scook over low heat for 2 minutes. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Grate some parmesan cheese and toss to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions:
HOW TO KEEP CHICKEN PARMESAN FROM GETTING SOGGY?
This recipe makes the perfect crispy chicken parmesan. But still, when you put tomato sauce over fried chicken, the crispy layer of the chicken will become somewhat soggy. The only thing I can suggest to prevent chicken parmesan from getting soggy is to put first the cheese layer, then the tomato sauce. This will help to keep the chicken extra crispy even after baking.
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN PARMESAN?
Keep chicken parmesan in the fridge, covered up to 4 days.